Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Behind the Scenes

     Exciting News!

     Hey everyone! I just want to do a short post about the production process and how it's going :D 
     I have some really exciting news! We finished recording all five songs!!! We've laid down all my vocals and now we're just waiting on Lexi's harmonies, then my dad can do what he does best and sooner than you know it there will be an EP of our original music! I can't believe how fast it's gone! 

The Recording "Booth"

     So first off I want to talk about the booth in which we've done all of this recording. we took over my brother's closet and my friend and I hung blankets all over in it to make it more sound proof. (Cleaning it before that was no easy task by the way. Lemme tell ya, I'm doing an awful lot for this album if I'm willing to clean out a couple of teenage boy's closet just to record.) 
     This worked really well because it's right next to my dad's studio, so if I needed anything he was right there and easy to get to. The closet is really really small, and it gets super stuffy in there. My dad set up a chair with a small fan that I can run while we're not recording, and room for my tea and water. :)  
     Here's some pictures!
 
This is how close the closet is to my Dad's studio door.
   






We hung another blanket over the door so that the cracks would be sealed too.

















 

 

 

 

 



ignore my feet ;)












 

Vocals

Me in the recording closet
      Vocals have been one of the hardest things for me in this project. I have to say that this has been quite a journey for me. *wipes forehead* At first my vocal cords weren't very strong. I struggled a lot with staying in tune or on key. I would go "flat" in places (I couldn't figure out what flat meant, or what was wrong with it. shhh don't tell anyone. ;) ) and I couldn't sing loud enough or high enough without obvious struggle. Sometimes I would hit the right note but not with enough strength.
     My voice has come so far through this project and I can't believe the difference! Something that really surprised me was learning to really take control of my voice. When I sang last year all I could think was "Power is Passion. The more power, the better my songs will sound!" and this year I really learned the difference between a powerful song, and a beautifully moving powerful song. I've learned to create more of a balance and to be more awhere of where to really push my vocals, and where to bring sweetness and calmness into the melody as well.
     My friend and I did a music video a year ago of the song "Colors of the Wind." Larry and I decided that I would do another cover of it after I had been working on strengthening my voice for a year so that the senior team could hear the difference. The difference is pretty significant, but I can't show it to you guys because... I barely know more than my grandma (love you grandma. ;) ) about computers and I have no idea how to upload the song onto the blog. Sorry!
(Just a screen shot from the music video)

Inside the Studio

     This is where my dad has been diligently working for me all this time! I'm sure you're very excited to see what it looks like! 
     This is the inside of our little home studio. You can see the wall of guitars that my dad loves and plays everyday. 

     This is a program called "Logic Pro." It's a music program for Mac computers. My dad has been studying on his own time behind the scenes and learning how to best use this program to write the music and record/edit all of my vocals. I couldn't possibly be doing any of this without him. 

     This is a little thing called "Pitch Correction." I've grown to despise this piano... honestly. Whenever we did a vocal track and I thought I had done "pretty good," he would pull out this piano (which plays the keys to what notes you're singing and lights up where you went off) and it would start flashing lights like sirens. *rolls eyes* I got so frustrated every time he would pull this stupid thing out. Recently though, Mr. annoying piano and I have become kind-of friends. Just kidding... honestly, I just let my dad work with him while I'm not in the room and decide that my voice is good enough for me, and it's good enough for God, so who cares what Mr piano thinks of it?! Not this girl. 
     My dad was able to connect his ipad to the computer and use it as a soundboard. And we even set up a talk-back-mic so he can communicate with me through my headphones while I'm in the closet! Here's what his set up looks like: 

Like Father like Daughter

     I just want to finish this post up by saying some quick words about my ever-devoted father. I love this guy a lot. A lot, a lot. <3 He had a car accident when I was a little girl, which left him handicapped, brain damaged, in constant pain, and having constant health issues. I've never met a man more determined to stay alive and keep going through every day just so that he can see his children grow up and make sure they make it okay. He is such an example to me of true faith in God. I can't imagine living the way he does and having such a deep trust that God has a reason. 
     No man has ever loved me so much, and I can honestly say I've never loved any man so much. He tells me he believes in me, and he teaches me new things every day. He's always willing to share his abundant knowledge with me, and I just love hearing all his stories. He has been a huge encouragement to me through this project, and he's the one who first said "you can do this!" So without him, I wouldn't be here blogging right now! 
     He gave me my blue eyes and blonde hair, my creativity, my musical talent, my sense of humor, and apparently a lot of my facial structure which I didn't realize until I looked at this photo!
     Often he tells me he's sorry he could never be a "normal" dad for me, that he wishes he were more. My dad gets so hard on himself for things he couldn't even help. I wish I could get it through to him that I honestly wouldn't trade him for any other dad in the world. He means so much to me. <3

See You Soon!

     I know this post wasn't exactly posted when it was supposed to be (last week) but finishing this project has been so crazy! I will hopefully have another post for you before the end of the week though! I'm really excited to write about what I'm doing right now! I have a feeling you'll be excited too, when I tell you. ;) 
Have an amazing and blessed week! Thanks for reading! <3
~Arianna

2 comments:

  1. Arianna,
    What an interesting and detailed post. I continue to pray for you. This is just one step in many more steps that God will use to glorify Himself through you! Keep up the GREAT work even though it is hard work. Each step you take HE (God) will be with you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your support and kind words Sally! It means so much more than you know when you take the time to comment and encourage me! This has definitely been an exciting adventure, and I'm so glad I get to take all of you with me on it. :D

      Delete