Thursday, May 19, 2016

It Always Seems Impossible Until It's Done


It's Finally Done!!!

     Everyone! I have a big announcement! My EP is finally done!!! My dad brought out the red-book master copy last night and we listened to it together. I can't believe I'm here. I can't believe we made it. I got my own copy today and put it in a just cried. (yeah, I cry a lot. you know that by now. ) I'm so relieved and overwhelmed and just... OH MY GOODNESS IT'S DONE!!

     Now unfortunately I don't have any copies of the CD printed yet because it turns out that making an album cover and getting your copies ordered is a lot harder than it looks. Here's the cover I designed though, so hopefully we can figure all that out as soon as school is over! I'll post about it as soon as I know they're done! 

     Mastering

     I don't know a whole lot about what all went into mastering this. It's a bit complicated. All I know is that I can really hear the difference between the final mix-down and the master. My dad describes mastering as "putting that coat of finish on your wood project" and that makes sense to me. 
     One thing I remember him telling me was an example of just one thing you do in mastering. See, everything has a specific frequency, and sometimes certain frequencies match up and cancel each other out. Two frequencies that are often the same are the human voice and a cymbal. You know how if you hear a cymbal crash while someone's singing it drowns them out? well, what it's actually doing is cancelling the voice out. In mastering, you have the ability to move frequencies, so if there's a circumstance like that, you can just move the cymbal's frequency a tiny bit so they don't cancel each other out anymore. 
     I'm not sure if I explained that very well... I'm doing my best to understand it all myself. This is just a small example of everything that goes into mastering, but whatever my dad did, it sounds pretty good in the end. :) I'm very proud of him. I couldn't do what he does! 

Some More Updates

     Here's a few more updates for you. Kristen is working steadily on the music video and it will be done by May 26th, (the date of my Spring Celebration where I present my project) which is coming up really fast! I'm so excited to see it. 
    Also, I've been working diligently on my power point while my dad was finishing up the mastering work. It's pretty much all put together! The plan is for me to speak about the project, play the music video for everyone, and then sing a song live. I'm getting really nervous but also super excited!!! Here's a few screenshots of what it's looking like! There's a chance I'll actually have it on video afterwards to share with those of you who can't be there to see it live. ;)



Thanks for reading! I'll see you guys next week!
~Arianna

2 comments:

  1. Happy for you. Glad your Dad could be such a huge help. Also all though that were there to help and encourage you on this journey in your life. Will continue praying for you.

    ReplyDelete